3 min read
2024 Week 05 - Weekly Notes
I’m planning on making a short post updating what my weekly reviews are looking like, updated for 2024. Every year or so, I’ll review my existing template and see what should be modified. It takes me a few times to get used to the format, many more months of thinking about what’s working and what’s not, and making slow incremental improvements. Look out for that soon.
Also, as mentioned last week, I spent some time updating my newsletter service. I migrated from TinyLetter to Buttondown, which you can read here.
- 2023 Gems of the year winners - Obsidian
- I’m planning on writing some Obsidian posts at some point, especially on how I use it
- Also, the inspiration from the Show and Tell last year during LYT 12 gave me some feedback on how I could improve the process
- TurboTax’s Intuit Spent Record Amount Fighting IRS Direct File—and Failed
- Florida Eliminates Sociology as a Core Course at Its Universities - The New York Times 😡
- Children with genetic deafness have hearing restored with gene therapy: Study - ABC News
- Sergio Pereira reflects on X - about Scrum and how it is incompatible with async workplaces
- Jon Stewart’s Long Strange Trip Back to ‘The Daily Show’
- Why Tailwind Isn’t for Me | The Spicy Web - My website is built using Tailwind, and it’s always good to hear what criticisms other have.
- New GitHub Copilot Research Finds ‘Downward Pressure on Code Quality’
- I’m testing out Perplexity AI as a search engine
- It touts itself as a Search engine alternative w/ AI
- Initial Impression: It’s got promise, but isn’t very fast.
- After a week: I don’t think it replaces Google. It’s great as an alternative. Some things I’d rather still Google, and I’ll probably write-up something about it
- Test Yourself: Which Faces Were Made by A.I.?
- Arc Browser comes out with Instant Open - I’ve been using this quite a bit.
- Prisoners in the US are part of a hidden workforce linked to hundreds of popular food brands
- After China Evergrande, Real Estate Crisis ‘Has Not Touched Bottom’ - The New York Times
- Watch Me Lose My Job on TikTok - The New York Times
- Some thoughts on interviewing
- The World Needs Love. Hallmark Is Cashing in.
- Could a Giant Parasol in Outer Space Help Solve the Climate Crisis?
- A group of Israeli scientists wants to send a giant sail into space to block a portion of solar radiation. The shade in this artist’s rendering is enhanced to illustrate the concept.